Dating royal doulton vases

The factory building was demolished in 1978 and the friezes transferred to the Victoria & Albert Museum.

Royal Doulton is an English ceramic manufacturing company producing tableware and collectables, dating from 1815.

Operating originally in London, its reputation grew in The Potteries, where it was a latecomer compared to Royal Crown Derby, Royal Worcester, Wedgwood, Spode and Mintons.

Most probably the mark was applied at the time of decoration when each piece would have been handled individually to apply the painted or transfer printed pattern. The well recognised ‘standard’ Doulton mark or backstamp is that including the ‘lion, crown and roundel’ introduced in 1901 and used in various forms to the 1990s.

From 1901 to 1922 the standard mark appears with the words ‘Royal Doulton’ and ‘England’.

The company added products during the first half of the 20th century while manufacturing fashionable and high-quality bone china. The Lambeth factory closed in 1956 due to clean air regulations preventing urban production of salt glaze.

The headquarters building and factory of the Royal Doulton ceramics firm were in Lambeth, on the south bank of the Thames. Following closure, work was transferred to The Potteries.

Its products include dinnerware, giftware, cookware, porcelain, glassware, collectables, jewellery, linens, curtains and lighting.

Three of its brands were Royal Doulton, Royal Albert and Mintons.

A 6.5" (16cm) diameter and 5" (12.5cm) tall Royal Doulton Stoneware vase in ' Arts and Crafts' style by Harry Simeon and Florrie Jones.

This vase illustrates the development of Doulton design from the Victorian, through the Art Nouveau and Art Deco styles to the earthiness in texture and colour of the Arts and Crafts movement.

This is a back catalogue of Royal Doulton stoneware vases by famous Doulton artists such as Vera Huggins, Florrie Jones and Lily Partington.

Tags: , ,